Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Pre Mastectomy

By Nancy Prouty March


I've been awake since 3:00 am
sitting alone in the dark
contemplating tomorrow's surgery
and the cancer that lies
beneath my breast.
Eyes closed…
imagining
wondering
searching.


A memory caresses me &interrupts my thoughts.
I feel my friend Kate nearby bringing
her usual brand of comfort- a cup of herbal tea,
homemade valentine, or a candlelight dinner.
Not a day goes by without
memories of her...
brilliant paints meandering
onto 10 x10 blank canvases,
pencils and paper 
Objects of nature
Awaiting her attention on her
sun drenched studio table.


My eyes close and my 
Memories focus on our last day together…
We walked out to the backyard
on a late June morning
barefoot and free
and danced in the thick wet
green grass like fairies with wings.
We sat in old weathered
wooden chairs starring at the
brilliance of the day.
Kate looked at a big tree
standing in the yard and said, 
"See how that treelost a limb in the storm?"
"Yes," I reply.
"Most likely it will survive.
Only a scar will remain.
That is Hope."

Today I live in that hope
because of you dear
friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment